The Witt Stephens Jr. Central Arkansas Nature Center, whose mission is introducing the public to the importance of conservation education in Arkansas, is the fourth nature center established by the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission (AGFC). The center opened on December 17, 2008, and is funded by the Amendment 75 Conservation Sales Tax, allowing the center to provide free admission.Take a look at our Little Rock sightseeing planning app to schedule your visit to Witt Stephens Jr. Central Arkansas Nature Center and learn about what else to see and do during your holiday.
Highlights of the center include:
• Large indoor aquariums filled with native fish from several of Arkansas’s natural divisions.
• An exhibit timeline sharing the natural resource history of Arkansas and the role of the Arkansas Game and Fish commission in 100 years of conservation success.
• An extensive collection of fishing lures and tackle showcasing many early Arkansas lure and tackle manufacturers.
• A theater presentation provides information on many areas of research and education with which the AGFC is involved.
• The center features sculptures, photography, and other pieces of art inside and outside the building.
• A geocache is also located on the grounds.
• More than 100 bird species have been seen along the riverfront nearby. A wildlife area provides excellent viewing from a glass wall within the building.
• The William E. “Bill” Clark Presidential Park Wetlands, just east of the center, offer more fish and wildlife viewing opportunities.
• The center is surrounded by native plant beds featuring many plants that are beneficial to wildlife.
• Education staff provides specialized school field trips, teacher workshops, and public programs throughout the year. A classroom and administrative offices are located across a breezeway from the exhibit hall.
• Visitors may also purchase nature-themed items in the gift shop. Arkansas authors are featured, with subjects ranging from hiking trails to fishing.
• The center is one level, providing easy access for strollers or those with limited mobility. A shaded breezeway with picnic tables and benches offers a place for viewing the river.
Witt Stephens Jr. Central Arkansas Nature Center reviews
My grandchildren and I so enjoyed this center. Live fish, great exhibits. We will definitely be going back. more »
Great jewel in the River Market in Little Rock. Lots of activities offered. Aquarium, alligator feeding, etc. lots of educational opportunities. I built a bluebird house while I was there. more »
State sales tax funds four nature centers across Arkansas. Witt Stephens Center is both interesting and informative. Children and adults will find it interesting and a good way to spend an hour or so looking at exhibits and a movie. Several aquariums containing fish and reptiles provide education and fun. A native plant feeding area attracts birds and squirrels for your entertainment. While you stroll along the river, stop in for a few minutes and support Arkansas Game and Fish Commission conservation.
I am terrified of snakes, the nice man at the front told me how to walk so I wouldn't have to see them. Otherwise fun place to learn about fish and wildlife in the area. Clean bathrooms and well air conditioned.
Plan your trip to Little Rock
Get a personalized tripA complete day by day itinerary
based on your preferences
Customize itRefine your trip. We'll find the
best routes and schedules
Manage itEverything in one place.
Everyone on the same page.
See all ›
Side trips from Little Rock
Hidden gems in Little Rock
Parks in Little Rock
Kid-friendly things to do in Little Rock
Trips to Witt Stephens Jr. Central Arkansas Nature Center by other users
43 days in United States BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES July, popular sights Preferences: July Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium 14 days in Central Arkansas BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES November, outdoors, slow & easy, popular & hidden gems Preferences: November, outdoors Attraction style: Popular & hidden gems Pace: Slow & easy 14 days in Heart of Arkansas BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES November, outdoors, slow & easy, popular & hidden gems Preferences: November, outdoors Attraction style: Popular & hidden gems Pace: Slow & easy 7 days in Little Rock BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES November, popular sights Preferences: November Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium 60 days in Hot Springs BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES August, popular sights Preferences: August Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium 8 days in Arkansas BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES July, popular sights Preferences: July Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium