THE CHRISTMAS CAVE: A Christmas light spectacular!Plan to see White Gravel Mines and other attractions that appeal to you using our Minford road trip planning site .
GPS: 4007 White Gravel McDaniel Road, Minford, OH.
Ohio's newest holiday tradition is about to come alive for our 2nd season at the White Gravel Mines in Minford, OH. The Christmas Cave is a self-guided light diplay presented uniquely in the beautiful and mysterious passageways of an underground mine where over 21,000 people visited last year.
Our museum-quality displays depict the historical moments surrounding the birth of the Savior. Start a new family tradition and enjoy this free event featuring thousands of twinkling lights, the sounds of Christmas, and exhibit narratives that will open your eyes to the greatest story ever told.
*We have TONS of parking, so no waiting to park your car!*
16 Biblical Scenes underground
3 Nativity Exhibits
2 Traditional Tunnels of Lights
New Outdoor Displays
Thousands of Lights
Photo Hot Spots
4 Glorious Parking Lots!
Commemorative Items: Ornaments and Christmas Cards
🎄FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS🎄:
1. ADMISSION: Admission to The Christmas Cave is free! We do request a $2 per car parking fee to compensate our outdoor parking crew managing thousands of car in the cold winter elements. We appreciate them and you will too! No one will ever be turned away. ($5 for passenger vans or buses is recommended)
2. HOURS: We are open every Friday and Saturday between Black Friday to Christmas from 4-10pm. The Mine gate will open starting at 4pm with the gates closing at 10pm. Anyone inside at the time of the gates close may stay to explore the exhibits freely. Actual dates of service: November 24, 25, December 1, 2, 8, 9, 15, 16, 22, 23, 29 & 30.
3. INSIDE ACCESSIBILITY: Read to the end of this area! We use low-lighting and colorful shadowing for dramatic effect. This is a walking tour through the tunnel passageways for well over 30 minutes. The terrain inside is both firm and sometimes very slushy gravel. There are benches throughout for guests that need a break. This not fully handicap accessible. We have had guests use crutches and walkers, but wheelchairs cannot go through due to the slushy gravel. Also, children can be pushed in stable strollers with good wheels, but not the lightweight "umbrella" stroller. **Only an all-terrain wheelchair can manage the hill up to the mine and tackle the slushy gravel inside. ***We are currently working on making this available to the handicap during special hours. Please stay tuned! This year's handicap developments are still in process and will be announced later this year. Each year our goal is to make this as accessible as possible. We are building that year by year, so please be patient.
4. OUTSIDE ACCESSIBILITY: There are several different hills to walk up to the entrance of the Mine. A new one has been created that is not as steep as last year's hill! There are people with conditions that still need assisstance up and down the hill regardless, so a driver will be reserved to drive these people with special needs up and down the hill all evening. Just ask our parking attendants.
5. PETS: No pets are allowed. There are great reasons why 1.) Being a mine of gravel, it could appear to your pet that it's one giant kitty box. No thanks. 2.) We will not be held responsible if there was a pet attack on our guests or another pet. 3.) Also, your pet could pick up an old scent from a critter which refers you back to #1. This is a pet free zone.
6. RESERVATIONS: Reservations are not needed. When the doors are open, you may explore the scenes at your pace. Coming earlier is also great advice. 6-8pm are peak hours. You may call Lori at 740-776-2938 to leave a message and your call will be returned.
7. AGE LIMIT: The story of Christmas is for all ages! Sharing stories, memories and educating each other is encouraged. Generational conversation is our favorite sight as the young spark the excitement of the season, while the experienced explain the stories around them unite.
8. EVENT STYLE: This is self-guided and a lot of walking. We greet you at the door and have staff throughout to help as needed, but you may visit at your own pace. The path is clearly marked and safe inside. Enjoy a slow-down together with family and friends as your life is reminded of what this season is all about.
A very Merry Christmas to you and yours!
White Gravel Mines Reviews
This attraction is unlike any other. These natural caves have been turned into a realistic Bethlehem scene...as well as other Bible scenes. The family who bought the land has dedicated themselves to t... more »
Went there a little late in the season, but wanted to experience the fall colors. Went to WFP Museum. Great history of lost and sunken ships. Relics from sunken ships. Locations. Many have been found!... more »
The mines are great. We enjoyed the walk but be warned if you or anyone in your party has walking issues or are confined to a wheelchair this is not the place for you. Parking us a bit of a challenge as well. The team/staff at the mines do make you feel welcome. We recommend visiting.
Overall free of charge donation of $1 per person is appreciated but not required. There's a lot of walking required, and there are several parking lots, but most people parked in the very last parking lot because its dark and the first one you see and no signs to my knowledge which was at least at half a mile from the entrance. Word of advice to future visitors keep driving up the road. There is a lot right next to the entrance (but there are 3-4 separate lots in between) It's not that bad to walk, but was not ideal when it was 18 degrees outside with kids. Also, the concessions ran out of hot water and the wait was excessive
Plan your trip to Minford
Get a personalized planA complete day-by-day itinerary
based on your preferences
Customize itRefine your plan. We'll find the
best routes and schedules
Manage itEverything in one place.
Everyone on the same page.
Plans to White Gravel Mines by other users
60 days in Ohio BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES July, popular sights PREFERENCES: July ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 2 days in Chillicothe BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES July, teens, kids, popular sights PREFERENCES: July, teens, kids ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 3 days in Peebles BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES July, popular sights PREFERENCES: July ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 1 day in Beaver BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES June, teens, kids, outdoors, relaxing, historic sites, museums, shopping, wildlife, popular sights PREFERENCES: June, teens, kids, outdoors, relaxing, historic sites, museums, shopping, wildlife ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 10 days in Columbus BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES June, teens, outdoors, historic sites, wildlife, popular sights PREFERENCES: June, teens, outdoors, historic sites, wildlife ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 36 days in Ohio SEE PLAN June, popular sights PREFERENCES: June ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium