The work of CSA is conducted mostly within a committee structure, with each committee chair providing a brief report to the Board monthly.Our New Orleans route planner makes visiting Lower Garden District and other New Orleans attractions simple, and helps you make a travel plan personal to you.
We welcome and encourage all CSA members to join or participate in any committee that interests them. Each committee meets several times a year (more often when planning specific events), at the home of a committee member. The committees described below reflect how the committees were structured last year.
Several of the initiatives of the individual committees overlap and the committees should coordinate on these matters. Liaisons are individuals who communicate with partner organizations.
Economic Development & Zoning
CHAIR(S): Trenton Gauthier
MEMBERS: Rosa Dunlap
- Work for positive zoning changes in the LGD, including supporting or opposing proposals presented to the Board by residential and commercial entities.
- Monitor proposed zoning changes brought before the Board of Zoning Adjustment (BZA) and defends the interests of the LGD.
- Attend relevant city-wide planning meetings.
- Coordinate the voice of the LGD in ongoing planning efforts.
CHAIR(S): Sophie Martinez
MEMBERS: Trenton Gauthier, Kat Love
- Maintain and expand the website.
- Maintain the official e-mail list and send notices of news and events.
- Oversee and facilitate effective communication with membership and the community at large.
- Along with the president, work to positively promote the organization.
- Support the initiatives of other CSA committees through these initiatives.
- Administer the LGD Cultural District plan and reporting commitments to the State of Louisiana.
- Promote the arts and arts-related businesses in the Lower Garden District.
- Promote development of the cultural economy and the “entertainment corridor.”
- Inform LGD residents about Cultural District tax incentives, including historic rehabilitation tax credits.
For more information on Louisiana Cultural Products Districts, go to http://www.crt.state.la.us/culturaldistricts/home.aspx
CHAIR(S): Scott James
MEMBERS: Liz Gober
- Raise money to support the activities of CSA by hosting events and/or soliciting donations from private and commercial sources.
- Seek out and write grants as appropriate.
CHAIR(S): Deborah Hinson
MEMBERS: James McAlister
- Plan, promote, and host the annual house tour (for the 37th time this year!) and arts market in Coliseum Square (includes designing and producing promotional materials, picking up litter in the square and along the tour route, selling or buying ads in the tour book, working the ticket table, leading a tour, etc.).
MEMBERS: Kate Love, Sophie Martinez, Lauren Averill
- Promote and build the existing membership.
- Evaluate the current functioning of CSA marketing and develop new techniques as necessary.
- Coordinate with the communications committee to manage postal mailings, e-mail blasts, bulletins, posters and use of the logo to inform and maintain the membership.
- Manage membership drives at several events throughout the year.
- Coordinate with the Treasurer to maintain the membership list.
CHAIR(S): Trenton Gauthier
MEMBERS: Rosa Dunlap
- Identify and combat commercial and residential blight in the Lower Garden District through neighborhood outreach.
- Liaison with the Historic District Landmarks Commission and City Code Enforcement Department.
CHAIR(S): Bettine Carroll & Janne Stephens
MEMBERS: Derek Brown, Scott James, Lauren Averill
- Hold semi-annual park workdays (planting, cleaning, pruning, painting, raking, etc.) to maintain the variety of green spaces in the LGD.
- Maintain the fountain in coliseum square.
- Fill dog bag dispensers around coliseum square.
- Monitor trash can emptying by the city.
- Coordinate semi-annual buck moth caterpillar spraying.
- Work with Arts Council of New Orleans regarding implementation of public art project for Coliseum Square.
CHAIR(S): Ryan Kropog
- Represent the LGD at 6th District NONPAC (New Orleans Neighborhood Police Anti-Crime Council) meetings (third Wednesday of every month at 6:30p).
- Host and promote Night Out Against Crime gathering for the LGD.
- Plan and cook Mardi Gras Breakfast for 6th District officers.
- Track Hot Sheets and monitor crime reports in the neighborhood.
- Coordinate awards for Police and Firefighters to be given out at the Annual Christmas Party.
International School of Louisiana (ISL) Liaison
LIASON: John Dubberley
- Liaison with ISL by attending ISL board meetings (fourth Wednesday of every month at 6:00p).
- Convey information of interest between ISL and CSA.
For more information on ISL, go to http://www.isl-edu.org/
Neighborhoods Partnership Network (NPN) Liaison
- Attend NPN meetings and events to maximize this resource for CSA.
- Maintain CSA’s NPN web profile.
For more information on NPN, go to http://npnnola.com/
Lower Garden District Reviews
I absolutely love love the architecture of this amazing area So many great restaurants and bars tucked into reg neighborhoods. Can’t wait to go back more »
We took the street car (see listing) then spent some time walking around on our own along St Charles, and Prytania (out on one, back on the other) as far as Napolean and back. Those of you who know th... more »
Plan your trip to New Orleans
Get a personalized planA complete day-by-day itinerary
based on your preferences
Customize itRefine your plan. We'll find the
best routes and schedules
Manage itEverything in one place.
Everyone on the same page.
View all >
View all >
Hidden gems in New Orleans
Side trips from New Orleans
View all >
Nearby attractions in New Orleans
Plans to Lower Garden District by other users
6 days in New Orleans BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES August, popular sights PREFERENCES: August ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 29 days in New Orleans Area BY A USER FROM AUSTRALIA July, popular sights PREFERENCES: July ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 8 days in New Orleans BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES May, culture, historic sites, fast-paced, hidden gems PREFERENCES: May, culture, historic sites ATTRACTION STYLE: Hidden gems PACE: Fast-paced 38 days in United States BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES May, teens, culture, outdoors, relaxing, romantic, beaches, historic sites, museums, wildlife, slow & easy, popular & hidden gems PREFERENCES: May, teens, culture, outdoors, relaxing, romantic, beaches, historic sites, museums, wildlife ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular & hidden gems PACE: Slow & easy 7 days in New Orleans BY A USER FROM INDONESIA May, hidden gems PREFERENCES: May ATTRACTION STYLE: Hidden gems PACE: Medium 60 days in Louisiana BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES April, outdoors, relaxing, historic sites, slow & easy, hidden gems PREFERENCES: April, outdoors, relaxing, historic sites ATTRACTION STYLE: Hidden gems PACE: Slow & easy