The mission of the Museum of the American Indian is to provide the people of Northern California with programs and exhibits that deepen understanding and appreciation of Native American cultures. The Museum promotes accuracy, sensitivity and respect for the heritage and history of our continent's earliest inhabitants.PutMuseum of the American Indian into our Novato trip itinerary builder and find out what's close by, where to stay, and where to head next.
The Museum engages diverse audiences in the exploration and preservation of the history, languages, art and traditions of Native Americans through the growth of its permanent collections, its exhibitions and the vitality and diversity of its educational programs.
The Museum involves the entire community by providing programs that are responsive to the interests of children and adults, including educators, collectors and schools.
The Museum of the American Indian operates as:
• A center of exhibitions, symposia, film, demonstrations, workshops and cultural celebrations.
• An educational resource for children’s cultural enrichment programs.
• A repository for artifacts, photographs, drawings and books.
• A forum for the objective examination of Native American cultures.
• An archive of information and data, available for inquiry and consultation.
The Museum creates dialogue within the community about Native American cultures by:
• Interpreting the history, art, traditions and life ways of Indian peoples.
• Giving voice to elders, artists, culture bearers, and others of Native American ancestry.
• Providing educators with curriculum guidance concerning Native American history
• Fostering awareness of the interdependency of culture and their environment.
The Museum’s goals are to:
• Make Native American cultures, past and present, come alive for all people.
• Build and maintain a facility with designated space for protection, preservation, display and interpretation of Native American artifacts and for educational programming and research.
Museum of the American Indian reviews
The Museum of the American Indian located in Miwok Park in Novato, California consists of two areas. The first is the downstairs which is the Learning Center for the Miwok People who inhabited Marin..... more »
We visited this small but very busy Museum in a Park in Novato California. Well presented full of history of the Miwok Indian Tribe , and where they are today. The Curator was in attendance and was... more »
Very informative. Did the docent tour, which was beneficial.
I loved this place! I went there for my daughter's school field trip and it was truly amazing. We had a very informative tour of the museum. The lady that gave the tour was very Knowledgable and super nice. We even learned a song!
Plan your trip to Novato
Get a personalized tripA complete day by day itinerary
based on your preferences
Customize itRefine your trip. We'll find the
best routes and schedules
Manage itEverything in one place.
Everyone on the same page.
Hidden gems in Novato
Side trips from Novato
Popular things to do in Novato
Golf in Novato
Neighborhoods in Novato
Trips to Museum of the American Indian by other users
60 days in San Francisco BY A USER FROM AUSTRALIA SS Jeremiah O'Brien Alcatraz Island Museo Italo Americano 36 days in San Francisco BY A USER FROM UNITED KINGDOM Chinese Culture Center Fisherman's Wharf Ghirardelli Square 10 days in Novato BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES Six Flags Discovery Kingdom Boat Tours & Water Sports Marin Headlands 8 days in Marin County BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES Sausalito Point Reyes National Seashore 60 days in Marin County BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES Point Reyes National Seashore Sausalito 60 days in Mill Valley BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES Rodeo Beach The Marine Mammal Center Muir Beach Overlook