The site protects and interprets the setting along the Washita River where Lt. Col. George A. Custer led the 7th U.S. Cavalry on a surprise dawn attack against the Southern Cheyenne village of Peace Chief Black Kettle on November 27, 1868. The attack was an important event in the tragic clash of cultures of the Indian Wars era.Plan to visit Washita Battlefield Visitor Center during your Oklahoma vacation using our convenient Oklahoma trip planning site .
Welcome to Washita Battlefield National Historic Site Facebook Page (or other social media site). We hope this will become a place where fans feel comfortable sharing information and experiences about Washita Battlefield National Historic Site with one another.
• While this is an open forum, it is also a family friendly one, so please keep your comments and wall posts clean. Please be considerate of other people's opinions. In addition to keeping it family friendly, we ask that you follow our posting guidelines here. If you do not comply, your message will be removed.
• We do not allow graphic, obscene, explicit or racial comments or submissions, nor do we allow comments that are abusive, hateful or intended to defame anyone or any organization.
• We do not allow solicitations or advertisements. This includes promotion or endorsement of any financial, commercial or non-governmental agency. Such posts and/or links are subject to deletion. People who continue to post such content and/or links may be subject to page participation restrictions and/or removal from the page.
• We do not allow attempts to defame or defraud any financial, commercial or non-governmental agency.
• We do not allow comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity.
• You participate at your own risk, taking personal responsibility for your comments, your username and any information provided.
• Posting of external links on this site that are intended as advertising (or to drive traffic to websites unrelated to Washita Battlefield National Historic Site), or do not contribute to dialog and discussions about Washita Battlefield National Historic Site may be deleted. People who continue to post such links may be subject to page participation restrictions and/or removal from the page. People who continue to post such links will be contacted by an NPS employee to discuss the appropriate actions that will be taken.
• External links do not constitute official endorsement on behalf of the U.S. National Park Service or the U.S. Department of Interior.
Washita Battlefield Visitor Center Reviews
A friend and I were on dual sport motorcycles riding the Oklahoma Adventure Trail (A gravel and dirt route around the state of Oklahoma) and visited this historic site. This historic site should be vi... more »
Well maintained. Free of trash and bathrooms were clean. Interesting artifacts and a nice 1 1/2 mile walk. No pavement. Walk is on grass so no wheelchairs. We loved listening to the information via ou... more »
Very nice and informative stop! We learned a great deal. The rangers were great and my daughter completed the junior ranger program there. We did a short walk on the nature trail.
I really enjoyed my visit to this historic site. The visitor center has a museum and film that do an excellent job at explaining the importance of this historic event. The museum has some great displays and interpretive materials that provide a lot of firsthand accounts of the battle. Additionally, there are numerous artifacts. If you're interested in learning about all sides of American and Native-American history this site is definitely worth your time.
Plan your trip to Cheyenne
Get a personalized planA complete day-by-day itinerary
based on your preferences
Customize itRefine your plan. We'll find the
best routes and schedules
Manage itEverything in one place.
Everyone on the same page.
Popular things to do in Cheyenne
Plans to Washita Battlefield Visitor Center by other users
17 days in United States BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES November, popular sights PREFERENCES: November ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 1 day in Cheyenne BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES August, popular sights PREFERENCES: August ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 56 days in Oklahoma BY A USER FROM AUSTRALIA June, culture, outdoors, relaxing, historic sites, museums, shopping, wildlife, popular sights PREFERENCES: June, culture, outdoors, relaxing, historic sites, museums, shopping, wildlife ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 22 days in Oklahoma BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES September, relaxing, romantic, historic sites, museums, popular sights PREFERENCES: September, relaxing, romantic, historic sites, museums ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 9 days in Dallas & Oklahoma BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES July, popular sights PREFERENCES: July ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 16 days in Altus & New Bern BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES May, relaxing, popular sights PREFERENCES: May, relaxing ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium