The preserve is open every day from dawn to dusk with NO CHARGE for admittance and can be accessed via county roads. There are free ranging bison herds, scenic turnouts, hiking trails, picnic tables, breezeway information and public restrooms at the Historic Bunkhouse. The gift shop / visitor center is open from March through mid-November from 10:00am to 4:00pm. It is operated by docents, and is typically open every day.Put Tallgrass Prairie Preserve and other Pawhuska attractions into our Pawhuska route builder app , and watch your holiday take shape.
Please observe the following guidelines when visiting:
- Stay on the trail. Don't collect plants, insects or other species or disturb soil, rocks, artifacts or scientific research markers.
- No dogs. Preserves harbor ground-nesting birds and other wildlife that are extremely sensitive to disturbance.
- No bicycles or motorized vehicles. Native plants and research sites are easily trampled.
- No hunting, camping or campfires.
- For groups of 10 or more, please contact us before visiting a preserve (a volunteer naturalist guide may be available).
- Please do not leave behind trash. Bring a bag and carry it out.
- Please report to us any problems you observe (e.g., camping, plant removal, hunting, off-road vehicle damage, etc).
For more information, please visit:
Tallgrass Prairie Preserve Reviews
If you want to see lot of buffalo in a natural setting you need to go here early in the day so you see the buffalo in large numbers and up close. The Preserve headquarters is a must see as well the st... more »
We weren't sure what to expect but it was beautiful country. We could see for miles and miles. We saw a bison herd in the distance and 1 when we took the Bison Loop on the way back to town. A car wash... more »
Beautiful area. There was a short free tour with a very knowledgeable volunteer about the bison, tall grass and the rest of the flora and fauna. Cute info center and gift shop combo.
We enjoyed driving through the preserve and being able to see the bison up close, sometimes even at the road's edge. We also saw deer, visited the welcome center, and toured the Ben Johnson ranch bunk house from 1920. Very enjoyable time...
Plan your trip to Pawhuska
Get a personalized planA complete day-by-day itinerary
based on your preferences
Customize itRefine your plan. We'll find the
best routes and schedules
Manage itEverything in one place.
Everyone on the same page.
Popular things to do in Pawhuska
Plans to Tallgrass Prairie Preserve by other users
33 days in Wichita BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES May, popular sights PREFERENCES: May ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 30 days in Wichita BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES September, popular sights PREFERENCES: September ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 2 days in Pawhuska BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES August, popular sights PREFERENCES: August ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 16 days in Wichita BY A USER FROM CANADA September, popular sights PREFERENCES: September ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 29 days in Wichita BY A USER FROM AUSTRALIA September, popular sights PREFERENCES: September ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 18 days in Wichita BY A USER FROM COLOMBIA August, popular sights PREFERENCES: August ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium