Marshlands Conservancy is a 147-acre wildlife sanctuary composed of diverse habitats. Forest, meadow, salt marsh and shore can be explored and appreciated here. There are three miles of trails and one-half mile of shoreline along the Long Island Sound.Planning Rye trip won't be overwheling when you use's Insprock itinerary maker.
Located along the Atlantic migratory flyway, Marshlands is an excellent birdwatching location. More than 230 species have been sighted. The Marshlands salt marsh is one of few in New York accessible to the public for study and enjoyment.
Please assist us by being respectful of park habitat, wildlife, and other visitors by following these simple rules:
• All plants and minerals provide food and shelter for wildlife and may not be collected during any season.
• All wildlife is protected by law and may not be trapped, hunted or collected.
• Activities that disturb the peace and interfere with people's abilities to observe wildlife are not permitted. Please enjoy your visit quietly.
• No food or drink is allowed beyond the picnic areas. There are no facilities for large picnics.
• Swimming, fishing, and boat docking are not permitted. Please enjoy your visit quietly.
• Visitors are asked to stay on the trails, particularly during the nesting season (May through August). Some areas may be blocked off temporarily for nesting reasons or trail recovery.
• No dogs allowed.
Marshlands Conservancy Reviews
The area is against the Sound so its surrounded by water. It's good for the Fall season. There was a guide giving bird watching instructions to a group. The paths are well defined and there were sever... more »
A beautiful hike which takes you through a well kept woods trail, to a large open field with wildflowers and grasses to a trail through a marshy bog, to a little beach on the sound. All along there ar... more »
This is a perfect place for a short hike. All the paths are flat. Pretty views !
The conservancy was a nice place to visit for an easy to moderate Sunday afternoon hike. Some of the trails were overgrown or flooded but that added to the adventure! We spotted lots of wildlife including egrets, a white-tailed deer, and seven wild turkeys.
Plan your trip to Rye
Get a personalized planA complete day-by-day itinerary
based on your preferences
Customize itRefine your plan. We'll find the
best routes and schedules
Manage itEverything in one place.
Everyone on the same page.
Popular things to do in Rye
Plans to Marshlands Conservancy by other users
12 days in Greenwich BY A USER FROM SOUTH AFRICA November, popular sights PREFERENCES: November ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 10 days in Connecticut, Hyde Park & Irvington BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES October, popular sights PREFERENCES: October ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 3 days in Irvington BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES September, popular sights PREFERENCES: September ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 56 days in Westchester County BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES September, popular sights PREFERENCES: September ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 11 days in Orlando, Tyler & Rye BY A USER FROM INDIA August, popular sights PREFERENCES: August ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium 36 days in Bear Mountain BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES August, teens, outdoors, historic sites, museums, wildlife, popular sights PREFERENCES: August, teens, outdoors, historic sites, museums, wildlife ATTRACTION STYLE: Popular sights PACE: Medium