You have 3 trips in progress. See all
There are a few paths that lead up to the mountain. Once there you will go around a gate and start walking up a concrete path. It is a steep walk so be prepared with comfortable shoes, sunscreen and plenty of water. Once up at the top you will enjoy views of Yuma and Wellton. Take your time to enjoy a small break, sign the guest book and eat a snack before you head back down. On the walk down, take your time. Remember you will be walking on concrete which can be hard on the joints.Telegraph Pass is just one of the many highlights you can arrange to see using our , world travel planner Edition.
For the more adventurous hiker, you might enjoy a trail that goes up the side of the mountain. It's harder to find from the bottom, but once up at the top, you can find it on the left side of the road as you start your decent. As always, watch where you put your hands and where you step. As it gets warmer, the wildlife will be more active. Also beware of the loose rock under your feet. It's very slippery and some rocks that look like they are sturdy are actually lite and very movable. Again, be careful.
During the spring you can enjoy many of the wildflowers in bloom as well as the blooms of the ocotillos and prickly pear cactus.
I recommend that you head to Telegraph Pass early in the morning come spring. It starts to heat up early in Yuma.
To get to the trailhead, take I8 to Foothill Blvd go north and turn (right) onto the North Frontage Road. Follow road until it dead ends. If you have a vehicle that can handle rough, rocky roads you can turn (left) at the dead end onto a path that will get you closer to the trail heads.
Basic rules to follow:
1. Walk at your own pace even if that means baby steps. If you are huffing and puffing you are pushing yourself too much.
2. If you have a dog, keep it on a leash as there are dangers that it can get into and have a supply of water for it.
3. Don't sit down to rest. If you need to rest stay standing and walk slowly in place.
4. Dress in layers. It may be cold in the morning, but you will get warm.
5. Sign the book at the top!
6. I hear a lot of people say it's harder on the knees going down. So if you have knee issues take it easy!
7. Don't "encourage" people to go faster. Chances are they are already doing the best that they can. A simple "hello" or "good morning" will suffice.
Telegraph Pass reviews
Challenging trail for some hikers such as myself, I walk a few miles everyday, but this a challenge. The walk to the base of the hill was nice. Beautiful scenery and mountain life, lizards and quail..... more
Challenging trail for some hikers such as myself, I walk a few miles everyday, but this a challenge. The walk to the base of the hill was nice. Beautiful scenery and mountain life, lizards and quail..... more »
We are winter residents from Iowa. I made it to the top of the mountain 16 times last winter. Great trail several ways to get up or down. The park is very well kept, No litter, if I did see some.... more
We are winter residents from Iowa. I made it to the top of the mountain 16 times last winter. Great trail several ways to get up or down. The park is very well kept, No litter, if I did see some.... more »
Plan your trip to Yuma
- Get a personalized tripA full day by day itinerary based on your preferences
- Customize itRefine your trip. We'll find the
best routes and schedules
- Manage itEverything in one place. Everyone on the same page.Know more
Popular things to do in Yuma
Side trips from Yuma
Parks in Yuma
Shopping in Yuma
Hidden gems in Yuma
Trips in Telegraph Pass by other users
8 days in Arizona's West Coast BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES Meadview Kingman Lake Havasu City 4 days in Yuma BY A USER FROM BELIZE Yuma Crossing National Heritage Area Colorado River State Historic Park Yuma Territorial Prison State Historic Park 15 days in Arizona's West Coast BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES Meadview Yuma Lake Havasu City 31 days in Arizona's West Coast BY A USER FROM AUSTRALIA Wenden Yuma Quartzsite 3 days in Yuma BY A USER FROM GERMANY The Museum of History in Granite The Camel Farm Yuma Territorial Prison State Historic Park 15 days in Yuma BY A USER FROM UNITED KINGDOM Mittry Lake Wildlife Area Yuma Proving Ground Heritage Center Martha's Gardens Medjool Date Farm